History Made at the Oscars: Kathryn Bigelow Takes Home Oscar For Best Director
March 8, 2010
Here is where I will make an admission…since it is good for the soul. I watched the Oscars last night. Now, I didn’t know that they were last night, and even if I did, I would not have watched. But, when I got home from the airport, it was on in the house in full swing. So, after traveling, I was just ready to chill on the couch and relax before the Monday workday was upon me.
I was shocked that a woman has never won the Oscar for Best Director. Part of that is that I ignore the director for the story. I know some directors, but I don’t go to the movie solely because the director was a name that I knew. But, I really didn’t know any female directors, outside of Sofia Coppola. So, watching the Oscars was good in this sense because it provided a history lesson.
While watching, we talked about what Kathryn Bigelow had directed.
- The Miraculous Year (2011) (TV) (pre-production)
- The Hurt Locker (2008)
- Mission Zero (2007)
- “Karen Sisco” (1 episode, 2004)
– He Was a Friend of Mine (2004) TV episode
- K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)
… aka K*19: The Widowmaker (International: English title: poster title) (USA: poster title)
… aka K-19 – Showdown in der Tiefe (Germany)
… aka K-19: Terreur sous la mer (Canada: French title)
… aka The Widowmaker (International: English title: informal short title)
… aka k-19 (International: English title: informal short title)
… aka k19 (International: English title: informal short title)
- The Weight of Water (2000)
… aka Le poids de l’eau (France)
- “Homicide: Life on the Street” (3 episodes, 1998-1999)
… aka Homicide (USA: informal short title)
– Lines of Fire (1999) TV episode
– Fallen Heroes: Part 2 (1998) TV episode
– Fallen Heroes: Part 1 (1998) TV episode
- Strange Days (1995)
- “Wild Palms” (1993) TV mini-series (unknown episodes)
- Point Break (1991)
- Blue Steel (1989)
- New Order: Substance (1989) (V) (video “Touched By The Hand Of God”)
- Near Dark (1987)
- The Loveless (1982)
… aka Breakdown
Right about number 10, you have to start recognizing her talent. If she can get Keanu Reeves to be seen as an actor, then she must have some chops. But, when you get to Strange Days, an underrated movie, then you can see the talent shine.
So, Kathryn Bigelow, congrats!